You will have to complete essay task 1 and essay task 2 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language.
Essay Task 1
The first task of the essay examination is an integrated task.
“Integrated” means that you have to combine your skills.
You combine your skills on the integrated iBT essay because you must listen to a lecture and read an article on an academic topic.
Then you have to write an essay comparing the points of view in the lecture and the article.
The essay examination is designed this way in order to accurately reflect your experience in academic life.
Essay Task 2
The second part of the essay is called the independent task. “Independent” means that you have to write about a topic independently, using only your own thoughts and experience.
You do not have to listen to an academic lecture or read any passage on this part of the essay task.
The independent essay task usually includes topics that require you to discuss a personal experience or opinion.
Here are some free independent essay topic samples for you to study:
Free sample essay topics:
1) Describe the house or apartment in which you would most like to live.
2) Parents are too indulgent and lenient with their children nowadays? Do you agree? Discuss and give examples.
3) “Global warming is the most important problem of modern society.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?
4) Describe the characteristics that you look for in a best friend.
5) “University education is becoming devalued because of the ever-increasing number of university graduates.” Do you agree? Why or why not?
6) Imagine that you were the leader of your country. How would your life be different?
7) “Adult television programs often harm children.” Discuss.
8) “The woman’s place is in the home.” Do you agree or disagree? Why?
9) Describe the funniest experience you have ever had and explain why it was humorous.
10) Pollution from factories is an increasing threat to the environment. Please discuss the solutions that your country has taken in order to try to solve this problem.
The above questions will help you prepare for your TOEFL iBT® examination.
For information on how to prepare for your academic life in America, please visit our preparation for study section.