This page has a vocabulary exercise for a few of the words J to L from our “Word Power” download.
These materials are for your private self-study.
This material is copyright. © Academic Success Media. DO NOT COPY!
Words J to L
jeopardize – (v.) to risk or endanger. Der. (n.) jeopardy.
jurisdiction – (n.) the authority to administer and apply laws and regulations.
knack – (n.) talent or skill.
land – (v.) to find or locate.
lassitude – (n.) tiredness; exhaustion.
latent – (adj.) hidden; not obvious or visible. Der. (adv.) latently; (ant.) patent.
livelihood – (n.) method of providing financial support for an individual’s existence.
loathe – (v.) to hate or despise. Der. (n.) loathing; (adj.) loath, loathsome.
lucrative – (adj.) relating to the production of great wealth or profit. Der. (adv.) lucratively.
luxurious – (adj.) providing an expensive and rich environment, beyond what is necessary.
Now complete the exercise below.
1. He has a __________ for getting things organized.
2. You should be able to __________ a job. There are hundreds of employment opportunities listed in the newspaper advertisements.
3. The marathon runner was overcome with __________ after finishing the race.
4. I __________ waking up early in the morning. I really can’t stand it.
5. The refrigerator had a __________ defect that could not be discovered, even through careful examination.
6. The king lived a __________ lifestyle in a palace decorated with gold. Der. (n.) luxury; (adv.) luxuriously.
7. You will __________ your health if you continue smoking so much.
8. He was able to retire early as a result of the large sum of money he had made from __________ investments.
9. He makes his __________ by working as a clerk in a grocery store.
10. The local police have __________ over this town.