Now have a look at this sample for some of the words M to P, which have been taken from our “Word Power” download.
For more information, please visit our Downloads page.
This material is copyright. © Academic Success Media. DO NOT COPY!
Words M to P
mandatory – (adj.) required; necessary; obligatory; (syn.) compulsory.
misconstrue – (v.) to misunderstand. Der. (adj.) misconstruable.
nibble – (v.) to eat something in very small bites. Der. (n.) nibble.
noxious – (adj.) the quality of possessing a poisonous or deadly gas. Der. (n.) noxiousness; (adv.) noxiously.
obsession – (n.) a continuing mental preoccupation with a single thought or idea which is often unreasonable or illogical. Der. (adj.) obsessive.
obsolete – (adj.) relating to things which are no longer useful as a result of being replaced or becoming outdated. Der. (n.) obsolescence.
overwhelm – (v.) to overcome or take control of an individual’s thoughts, feelings, or actions.
paramount – (adj.) highly important or significant.
parsimonious – (adj.) exhibiting excessive or extreme care about money and spending. Der. (n.) parsimony; (adv.) parsimoniously.
penchant – (n.) desire or preference.
Now complete the exercise below.
1. You have completely __________ what I said. When I said you looked beautiful today, I didn’t mean that you usually look ugly.
2. He continued his __________ with finding a cure for his disease long after the doctor had told him that treatment was impossible.
3. He was __________ with sadness when his wife died.
4. If you want to get good grades, studying is __________.
5. By the way you are __________ your food, I assume that you are not very hungry.
6. Bob is reckless and has a __________ for participating in dangerous activities.
7. Gasoline is a __________ substance. Breathing excessive quantities of it can cause death.
8. The __________ man used his tea bags twice in order to save money.
9. Computers become __________ quickly nowadays as they are constantly being replaced by newer models.
10. Completion of this form is __________. It must be filled in by every applicant.