Now try the exercise for words Q to V.
Remember, these exercises are just a few brief examples from our vocabulary download.
This material is copyright. © Academic Success Media. DO NOT COPY!
Words Q to V
querulous – (adj.) characterized by constant complaining. Der. (n.) querulousness; (adv.) querulously.
receptacle – (n.) a container used for collecting items which are later thrown away.
regress – (v.) to return to an earlier time period. Der. (n.) regression.
remunerate – (v.) to pay for a service performed; compensate. Der. (n.) remuneration; (adj.) remunerated.
scrumptious – (adj.) delicious; very tasty; (syn.) delectable.
setback – (n.) an event which causes a reversal in progress. Der. (ph. v.) set back.
tantamount (to) – (adj.) equal to in terms of results or consequences.
treacherous – (adj.) dangerous; (syn.) precarious. Der. (n.) treacherousness, treachery; (adv.) treacherously.
upheaval – (n.) the action of causing disturbance or disorder. Der. (v.) upheave.
vie – (v.) to engage in competition or rivalry.
Now complete the exercise below.
1. All litter should be thrown into the __________ provided throughout the park.
2. Refusing to tell the entire truth is __________ to lying.
3. This cake is __________. I have never tasted anything so delicious.
4. The two teams will __________ for the championship on Sunday.
5. Being overwhelmed by the responsibilities of adult life, Jane wished that she could __________ to her childhood.
6. The poor weather conditions caused a __________ to our journey, and we were delayed three hours.
7. The weather is __________ today. Travel is not advised.
8. The company agreed to __________ me quite highly. My salary will be $20,000 a month.
9. Dylan always causes __________ in the class with his constant interruptions.
10. The man became __________ in old age and began to complain about everything.