Financial Aid

If you are taking the TOEFL® exam, you may need financial aid to help you with the cost of your studies in America.

Financial Need

Financial aid is based upon a student’s financial situation.

If you do not have enough money to pay for your studies, you may be able to apply for financial aid.

You can get information and application forms from the financial aid office at your college or university.

Your Family’s Finances

In order to get support, you will need to file paperwork about your family’s finances.

If your parents declare you as a dependent, you may be asked to provide information from their tax returns.

The financial information you have to provide is about your income, as well as your expenses.

There will also be questions about your family size.

Your financial support will be affected if you receive any new scholarships or additional grants.

Re-apply Each Year

Also keep in mind that you need to re-apply for your aid and redo the paperwork every academic year.

Even though this is a time consuming process, it is worth the effort.

Doing the paperwork properly can save you thousands of dollars in some cases.

Pell Grants

Pell grants are one very common type of financial aid.

Unlike student loans, Pell Grants do not have to be repaid.

Pell grants are normally only for US citizens.

However, there are some exemptions for non-US citizens, so read the paperwork carefully if you are an international student.

Financial Aid Online

You can also find financial aid information online.

If you cannot get financial aid or scholarships, then you may need to borrow money for your education.

If so, try searching online using the phrase “student loans” for more information.

Please also remember to visit our preparation for study page for advice on preparing for your university life in the United States.